1998 September Report of the Auditor General of Canada
Exhibit 12.1—Expected Benefits of the AgencyThrough a more effective, streamlined approach to food inspection and animal and plant health services, the CFIA is expected to enhance consumer protection and work closely with clients to increase market access for Canada's food and agricultural products.
- improves service delivery by providing a single contact for consumer and food industry clients' federal food inspection requirements;
- reduces overlap and duplication of services;
- enhances efficiency in the delivery of federal food inspection;
- supports a safe food supply through the use of science-based inspection programs;
- continues and enhances access to international markets for Canadian producers and processors;
- sets the stage for a national food inspection system.