Report at a Glance—Report 4—Environmental Petitions Annual Report
Report at a Glance Report 4—Environmental Petitions Annual Report
The purpose of this annual report is to inform Parliament and Canadians about the number, nature, and status of petitions and responses received between 1 July 2014 and 30 June 2015, as required by section 23 of the Auditor General Act.
Petitions and Responses
- Over half of the petitions focused on national issues
- Individuals submitted over half of the petitions
- Key issues were the transport of hazardous substances and environmental and human health
- The main themes were government commitment and transparency
Responses due in this reporting period
- The Minister of the Environment responded most often
- Most responses were on time
- Responses were complete and relevant
Why this report is important
The environmental petitions process continues to provide Canadians with an opportunity to directly request information and answers from federal ministers and ask for commitments to action. The petitions submitted continue to raise a wide range of important environmental topics and questions. Further details about the environmental petitions process and the roles and responsibilities of the Commissioner and federal government departments can be found on our website.
For more information