The OAG Audit Committee has a mandate to oversee key aspects of values and ethics, risk management, internal controls, the external audit of the Office of the Auditor General of Canada’s financial statements, quality management, and accountability reporting in the Office. It gives the Auditor General independent and objective advice, guidance and assurance on the adequacy of the Office’s control and accountability processes.
The Committee is responsible for
- reviewing compliance with laws, regulations, policies, and standards of ethical conduct;
- reviewing the Office’s risk profile and risk management arrangements;
- reviewing the Office’s internal controls;
- overseeing the work of the Office’s external and internal auditors, and its practice review function;
- reviewing the Office’s financial statements with management and recommending whether the Auditor General should approve them; and
- reviewing key reporting documents, such as the Report on Plans and Priorities and the Performance Report and providing comments on them.
The OAG Audit Committee is governed by the Audit Committee Charter and is supported by the Practice Review and Internal Audit function. The Audit Committee receives reports from the Practice Review and Internal Audit function, whose mandate is described in the Practice Review and Internal Audit Charter.
Members of the OAG Audit Committee
- Bruce Joyce, FCA, ICD.D (Chair)
- Peter Boomgaardt, CA, Retired Partner PricewaterhouseCoopers (external member)
- Michael Ferguson, FCA, Auditor General, OAG
- Bruce Sloan, Senior Principal, OAG (non-voting member)
- Lyn Sachs, FCA, Chief Financial Officer, OAG (non-voting member)