The Auditor General receives external advice through several committees that have members from outside of the Office of the Auditor General of Canada:
- The OAG Audit Committee provides oversight on key aspects of quality and internal controls in the Office.
- The Panel of Senior Advisors provides strategic advice on the Office’s work.
- The Advisors on Aboriginal Issues provide advice on matters affecting Canada's First Nations and Inuit peoples.
- The Independent accounting and financial auditing advisory committee provides advice on audits of financial statements, helps the Auditor General monitor developments in the accounting and auditing professions, and considers the impact of these developments on the Office.
- The Panel of Environmental Advisors advises the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development on his work on behalf of the Auditor General, and on environmental and sustainable development matters.