Exhibit 1.3—The boards follow well-defined steps when reviewing and approving offshore activities—text version
2012 Fall Report of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development
Fall 2012 Report—Chapter 1
Exhibit 1.3—The boards follow well-defined steps when reviewing and approving offshore activities
Step 1: Defining the area of possible activity
- The Board and operators identify offshore areas for possible exploration.
- The Board conducts a strategic environmental assessment to analyze the potential environmental effects of offshore oil and gas activity in the identified regions and determine necessary measures to mitigate those effects. More details on this part of the step are provided in the chapter.
- The Board issues a call for bids for exploration licences in specified offshore areas.
- Parties may submit bids.
- The Board reviews bids and may award licences.
Step 2: Considering a proposal for a specific activity
- An operator submits a project proposal, which includes a project environmental assessment analyzing the potential effects of the proposed activity and defining measures to mitigate the effects.
- The Board reviews the project-specific environmental assessment and seeks input from others. More details on this part of the step are provided in the chapter.
- The operator submits an application for an authorization of a specific offshore activity. Application requirements may include an environmental protection plan or a spill response plan.
- The Board reviews the application, including the environmental assessment, and authorizes the specific activity if requirements are met. Conditions may be attached to an authorization. More details on this part of the step are provided in the chapter.
Step 3: Conducting the activity
- The operator carries out the activity, and may be required to monitor environmental effects and provide reports to the Board.
- The Board reviews reports submitted by the operator. More details are provided in the chapter.
- To ensure conditions are met, the Board monitors actions taken by the operator, reviews reports, and conducts audits and inspections. More details are provided in the chapter.
Note: This is a simplified version of the actual process. This chapter provides more details about some of the steps.